Friday, June 10, 2011

Oscar Wilde

Symphony in Yellow
I was familiar with Oscar Wilde due to his famous novel The Picture of Dorian Gray; it was one of my favorites growing up. The reason I chose this poem was for two reasons. One was because I had never heard of it before and two the simplicity of it. Was it possible that someone as “intricate” as Oscar Wilde could write something so basic? I read this poem as couple of times trying to see what he was saying and every time I read it I could picture the colors he was describing, and I could see the river. Then I thought maybe this is a poem about art. Being an Aesthete, this is exactly what they would have wanted us to see and appreciate. In the first stanza:
An omnibus across the bridge
Crawls like a yellow butterfly,
And, here and there, a passer-by
Shows like a little restless midge”
The wording is so descriptive; to me it seems he wants you to see exactly what he has written. There is no doubt Oscar Wilde was brilliant and quite a character, but I think there was a quiet side that not many people got to see ,because it would have interfered with the persona he as creating.


5 Comments:

At June 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Jonathan said...

Jim,

Interesting approach to Wilde's poem in this post. I think it is a good idea to foreground what you have read before by this author, as a way of gaining an entry point for your response. I al so like the way you incorporate and comment on the passage from "Symphony in Yellow." Nice job!

 
At June 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed this poem for its simplicity, and was also able to envision what he wrote about. Just as Wordsworth sees the beauty in nature, Oscar sees beauty in urban settings.

 
At July 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Heather Ziemba said...

I was really unsure about this poem. I kept looking for a deeper meaning, but all I found was imagery. I guess that was kind of the point. He really does paint a really beautiful picture in this poem.

 
At July 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a good take on the poem, especially taking in the consideration of the preface to Dorian Gray. Here we are all trying to find a certain meaning in this poem, but maybe we aren't supposed to. Maybe it was just meant to paint us a picture. Very interesting!

 
At July 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a good take on the poem. However, I would have liked to read your thoughts on the rest of the poem or you to go more in depth about the poem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home